Thursday, April 4, 2013

Meet my Singer 15

Singer 15 FrontView
Singer 15















Here she is: my Singer 15. She was made in Italy in 1934.
She could be a 15-88, but I'm not sure.

I found her at a Dutch auction site. There were no extra feet, bobbins or attachments, but at least she had no missing parts. That was a relief, I must say, because she appeared to be in poor condition in the pictures the previous owner had taken.
But I wanted her anyway, because she has such a pretty faceplate.

Singer 15 faceplate
Faceplate















singer 15 cover plate
Cover plate















She also has an intriguing tension unit, at least to me. When I bought this machine, it was the first time I saw one like that.
singer 15 tension unit
Tension unit















While testing the tension setting on a piece of fabric, the adjustment knob (not sure what it's called in English) accidently came off and the tension unit came apart.
I was in shock! Well, it wasn't hard to reassemble it, but I had no clue how to calibrate it. So I asked my regular repairman whether he was willing to work on a vintage sewing machine. He said yes, and off she went to the shop.

He took great care of her, I must say. Apart from a minor repair, he repositioned the take-up spring and calibrated the tension unit. And he serviced the entire machine. Maybe he thought I had missed an oiling spot, ;-). 
Well, at least she got the full spa treatment, and her movement is ever so smoothly.

Maybe I'll have him check my Singer 127K as well. Just to make sure I haven't overlooked something.



2 comments:

  1. Hello
    Great machine! I didn't know that Singer had a factory in Italy - interesting! I'm now trying to imagine the journey it took from Italy to the Netherlands and wondering how/where it spent the war years. It looks like you are lucky in having one of the 15 variants with reverse feed.

    Hugs
    G

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi G,

      Sometimes I wish sewing machines could talk. Imagine the stories of such a long lifespan, not to mention all that juicy gossip!

      The reverse feed was a nice extra, I agree. She just happened to have that, because I only had eyes for ornate face plates at the time.
      However I was very lucky indeed both times I purchased a vintage sewing machine. Neither the 127K nor the 15 needed any major repairs.

      Hugs,

      Marianne

      Delete